Victorian Internet and The Day the Universe Changed
While it was a very interesting (and easier) book read, I was thinking about how this relates to my classroom. While it was fascinating to see the parallels between what happened with the invention of the telegraph and with the modern day telegraph (the internet :), I wondered how this is going to help me become a better teacher. It wasn't until after our class discussion (which is usually the case) that I needed to shift gears from the mind to the actual tools we use.
I had left the teaching profession back in the late 90's and returned around 2006. When I left behind were overhead projectors and copiers and I returned to smartboards and projectors, along with a lot of other unfamiliar technologies. I was awestruck, digital lessons, writing on a smartboard, laptops for all teachers and electronic attendance/gradebooks! I thought these technologies would certainly be savior a solve many problems of years gone by. I quickly realized that as many problems that it seemed to have solved, it created a whole set of new ones. The learning curve to use these technologies was pretty steep and they're wasn't a whole lot of training to be had. There definitely was a divide among teachers who embraced it and ones who didn't have the patience (or will) to learn it.
There has definitely been the predictable pattern of adoption but I feel like we are in the reliance/given phase and it is transforming the nature of teaching (and hopefully not replace us). There are some great tools out there to use to save time on such mundane, necessary evils such as grading which frees up time to more important things like designing great lessons.
Here is my overarching question regarding technology, which actually brought me to this program, are we just digitizing what we already do or are we using technology to enhance learning? I think there has been a great deal of fleecing of schools from technology and I think we need to be smarter about how we utilize these resources. Hopefully this program will show us how.
I had left the teaching profession back in the late 90's and returned around 2006. When I left behind were overhead projectors and copiers and I returned to smartboards and projectors, along with a lot of other unfamiliar technologies. I was awestruck, digital lessons, writing on a smartboard, laptops for all teachers and electronic attendance/gradebooks! I thought these technologies would certainly be savior a solve many problems of years gone by. I quickly realized that as many problems that it seemed to have solved, it created a whole set of new ones. The learning curve to use these technologies was pretty steep and they're wasn't a whole lot of training to be had. There definitely was a divide among teachers who embraced it and ones who didn't have the patience (or will) to learn it.
There has definitely been the predictable pattern of adoption but I feel like we are in the reliance/given phase and it is transforming the nature of teaching (and hopefully not replace us). There are some great tools out there to use to save time on such mundane, necessary evils such as grading which frees up time to more important things like designing great lessons.
Here is my overarching question regarding technology, which actually brought me to this program, are we just digitizing what we already do or are we using technology to enhance learning? I think there has been a great deal of fleecing of schools from technology and I think we need to be smarter about how we utilize these resources. Hopefully this program will show us how.
I definitely hear your frustrations. In looking at other blogs, it seems to me that many technologies are more easily applied to reading/writing based classes. As math teachers, the options out there feel more limited but, like you, I always feel that there is a dearth of time and training. Having the time to work with other math teachers to explore options and share potential applications... That would be great.
ReplyDeleteThe design process we're learning about is intriguing. I feel the implications in using technology buzzing around in my head as I think about authentic activities. There is a clear sense that linking to technology is key. I've begun exploring the world of videos, making some of my own to allow for students to self-pace. I'm looking forward to delving into more.
This is so timely. My coworker was texting us yesterday after a very frustrating meeting. He was told about yet another piece of online assessment we are all to give our students in the name of DATA. This is ANOTHER new one this year. "In addition to," and mandated, not optional. So we have a reading assessment tool (online) that is "personalized," and now we have a writing assessment tool (online). This is in addition to needing to prepare them to take the SOL test. He feels like we are being turned into proctors, or forced to "paint by numbers;" we are being forced to follow a recipe/script from some "book" handed to us by someone who deemed it worthy. There is a discrepancy between guiding students to become "independent learners and producers of content" (yes, these are his exact words I'm quoting) and "uniform... consumers of canned lessons plans." We don't have enough technology to implement all of this in every classroom consistently, and we don't have enough literal time to do everything else we are supposed to be doing. Where is the art in our craft? Now, I say all of this because I understand him and agree with him, but in my heart I know there's a happy medium. My favorite saying? Don't ask permission, beg forgiveness. I will do what I think is right.
ReplyDelete“Are we just digitizing what we already do or are we using technology to enhance learning?” - this is an excellent question. In my opinion, this question goes back to The Sabertooth Curriculum. Society places a high value on basically digital everything, and we as teachers must adapt our instruction to meet the needs of society. Also, it is up to the teacher whether we digitize what we already do or enhance the learning with technology. Perhaps, it is both happening concurrently. So, probably the best answer is both, and it depends.
ReplyDeleteI have also moved from a more conventional way of teaching (back in Spain) to a culture in which it no longer seems possible to run a lesson without wifi… Jokes apart, I feel like the learning curve has been steep indeed, but I also welcome some of the features that digital technology brings to the class. For instance I can assign speaking assignments for homework which students can record without the anxiety that comes before an oral exam. It also it allows me to diversify my materials and to customize instruction more easily. I think I could go back to a conventional teaching because I still remember what it looks like, but my practice would be impacted. As for ‘digitizing’ versus ‘enhancing’, I believe that you are asking the right question. I feel like I am somewhere between both ends, although my goal is to move more towards transforming my practice. I don’t know if you are aware of the SAMR model (http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2013/06/samr-model-explained-for-teachers.html), but it’s definitely a good thing to keep in mind.
ReplyDeleteLove this! I grew up in the 90s/early 2000s classroom with overhead projectors, paper copies galore, notebook paper, and textbooks. I think I turned out fine :). I can only imagine the shift that was needed, though, in terms of teaching going from that setting to the 2010s world of teaching. At times I find myself digging through Google Doc after Google Doc, files upon files, but I think because that's all I've known teaching, is much easier than it would be for me to be buried in papers. Both require a good organization system I suppose, though.
ReplyDeleteTo your question, my goal is both. I certainly think technology can make what we do even better, so I sometimes use it in that method. But I also feel that the big push lately is to create digital content. I'm all for the digital content, however, even with that I feel like a teacher is still needed to facilitate and engage students. Yeah?